Monday, July 28, 2008

$255k below '06 price in DP

This Dana Hills (Monarch Beach) home is more evidence that buying at the peak and needing to sell now is a losing proposition - in virtually any area of South Orange County.

The owner is even in danger of losing some of his own money in the deal. Shocking concept, we know...

23 Cassis, 92629
Asking price: $995,000-$1,195,000
Asking price/ sq ft: $498-$598
Income requirement: $248,750-$298,750
Purchase price: $1,450,000
Purchase date: 6/12/06
Size: 4 beds, 3 baths, 2,000 sq ft (built in 1996)
MLS: S534726 (56 days on Redfin)
Zillow Zestimate: $1,317,000
HOA dues: $181
Type: Single Family Residence
Style: Mediterranean
Stories: 2 Levels
Lot size: 5,000 sq ft
From listing: Very Sharp home! Located above the fairways of The Monarch Beach Golf Course. Very short stroll to the beach on a private nature trail. This home has had numerous professional upgrades with new kitchen appliances, cabinets, granite counter top and much, much more! Floor to ceiling drapes outline the tall walls and brightly lighted rooms while the warm wood floors offer a comfortable beach setting. The master suite offers a great ocean view! Walk out balcony overlooks the fairways at Monarch Beach Golf Course! Come see for yourself! Call Jim for a showing appointment.

The current owner had the wrong timing but purchased the property the right way: He paid $1,450,000 and used 80% ($1,160,000) financing from Countrywide. His downpayment was $290,000.

The home is now for sale and range priced on Redfin for between $995,000 and $1,195,000. This makes it seem extremely likely the owner will lose his entire investment - unless he already took some or all of it out of the house through equity extraction (we don't know).

Also working against the owner is the fact that Dana Point homes - and OC luxury homes in general - are taking a while to sell right now because there are few buyers able to afford these properties.

Assuming they get lucky and the property sells at the very top of the asking price range, it would mean a loss of $326,700 off the previous sales price, including 6% sales costs. It also would be $5,000 below the 2004 sales price of $1,200,000 (not including sales costs).

If it gets ugly and the owner is forced to sell for the low point in the asking price range (and assuming it's a short sale, the lender accepts), then that would mean a loss of $514,700, including 6% sales costs. It also would be $205,000, or 17%, below the 2004 price.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching "31 Cassis" it went inactive then I saw it on realtor but the MLS number was different. Can you tell me if 31 Cassis is still active?

They first listed it for around $1,6000 then the last time I saw it, it was $800,00. Maybe a foreclosure?

How can I found out if it sold?
Can you check it for me? LOL!

Thanks!

southoctracker said...

It looks like 31 Cassis is pending sale right now - the last asking price as far as I can tell was $949,000.

Probably not a short sale - owner put $238k down and financed $952k. No idea if HELOCs or other debt came later. It is not a preforeclosure, according to ForeclosureRadar.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a very nice property, but I just can't imagine paying over $1M for a 2000 square foot tract home (I'm sorry, it may be in Monarch Beach, but it is still a tract home).

The financial loss on this property is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for checking 31 Cassis.

I was tracking it in Zip then it went inactive. They kept lowering the price and I did see it get lowered to 949,000 like you said. Then the other day I was on realtor dot com and sure enough, it was listed for 800,00. I just double checked it again and it is still on there. But the MLS# is not valid.

So I was was very curious about what was going on with this property.

Thanks again for taking the time to check it for me!